Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Back on the horse...

I'd like to use this blog a bit more. Although Facebook is nice for quick updates, I would like to spend a bit more time getting news to family that lives away, especially news about mom. She lurks at Facebook, but I can't get her to post much there, and family always is looking to know more about what's going on. I think this might also be a good way for me to gather thoughts about my other endeavors: crafting, reading, etc.

So, although I know there's no one out there reading, I am going to give this a shot. At the very least I'll have a journal of sorts that I can look back upon. (I found it interesting to look back at some of my past posts...)

December has been hectic and muddled for me. One reason for that is that I was out of state for the last two weeks of November for a professional conference and a soccer tournament. Then I came back to work for a little over a week, and suddenly I needed to go to training for at-home dialysis. We originally had thought that mom could do the training and I would just come in for a day or so as back-up, but mom felt very uncomfortable with how the training was going. The nurse needed someone else to do the dialysis at home, so I quickly rearranged my schedule and headed over for 7 days of training at the dialysis unit.

I'm glad I did. the process is pretty complex, and mom's increasing hand/arm tremors make her very shaky. Although it was and is time intensive, I am glad that she's not trying to handle it.

We have now been doing at home dialysis for about 10 days or so. Mom is feeling a lot better as a result, as the hemodialysis was really making her feel terrible. Of course, now she has all kinds of free time on her hands, so she will need to come up with something to fill her time. I set up her computer with Stumble Upon; this seems to give her some web browsing options. She also loves to lurk on Facebook. Unfortunately she's not in great condition to drive right now, for several reasons. This severely cramps her style, understandably so!

Katie is semi-enjoying the Christmas break. She's a little isolated here and gets pretty bored. It's not like when the boys were little and they had each other to play with. Poor Katie!

Martin finished his first semester at UAA with a 3.6 GPA! He is feeling mighty proud of himself. He is majoring in Psychology, and greatly enjoys his use of the little apartment downtown. A million thanks to his grandparents for that perk!

Well, I guess that's enough for now... Hopefully this won't be a one time event....

No comments:

Post a Comment